New Bolsover Primary School believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
The Real PE Scheme of Work is used for 1 PE lesson each week throughout the year. The other lesson is either Real Gym, Real Dance, Royal Opera House Dance, Athletics or Outdoor Adventurous Activities, taught in half term blocks.
Year 6 is the exception as they do swimming for one lesson per week.
Through Physical Education and sport we will:
- Engage all pupils in regular physical activity with 2 hours of PE lessons each week in KS1 and 2, and opportunities to be active at playtime and lunchtime through daily running, playbags and coach-led sessions.
- Raise the profile of PE and sport through inclusion of active learning across all areas of the curriculum.
- Increase confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport to enable them to deliver high quality PE lessons.
- Use the Real PE scheme and assessment to tailor learning to the needs of pupils and enable them to make progress.
- Increase the breadth of experience and range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Provide opportunities for participation in competitive sport.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to become Young Leaders, trained to deliver and support activities at lunchtime.
- Ensure equipment and environments are available to facilitate learning.
- In Early Years, Physical Development will run through the curriculum, developing Fundamentals of Movement.
Pupils will be more active, healthier, have acquired and developed fundamental movement and skills relating to a range of sports, gymnastics, dance and swimming.
Pupils social and emotional skills will be developed:
Personal: Take responsibility for learning, accept critical feedback and make changes.
Social: Lead and motivate others to perform better.
Applying Physical: Transfer skills and movements across a range of activities and sports, with consistency.
Cognitive: Review and analyse my own and others’ strengths and areas for improvement.
Creative: Effectively use tactics in a game and use variety and interest to engage an audience.
Health and fitness: Explain why fitness is important and can improve effectiveness in activities, roles and events. Actively join in with fitness related activities.
The importance of pupils participating in regular PE and sport activity has been widely recognised for a number of years. The Government has set aside significant funds to enable primary schools to further develop their PE and sport provision. Our Sport Premium Plan can be viewed here.
Real PE Family Fun Sessions
Real PE lessons outdoors
Real PE indoors